Monday, November 2, 2009

Winter has come

The joys of winter in the desert. It went from being REALLY hot to pouring rain on Friday, causing a lightening storm and a blackout. I love the rain, and was said that I was so sick and couldn't appreciate it. Turns out I had an infection in my lungs. (On the mend now, hopefully the last time Ill be sick for a while, B"H).

Today I got out of the house for the first time since Friday. I walked from my house to my in-laws house... and it was an experience. It is not very cold here, but the wind is harsh... and since we live in a desert, this wind tends to blow sand everywhere. When i was in Israel back in 2005, we had a real sandstorm, with dust so thick it was like walking through the split pea soup fog that I grew up with. I have to say though, when it comes down to it- sand is way worse than fog.

Sand manages to get into any open space, no matter how small- in your eyes, your mouth, your ears... and it makes you just want to hide behind anything you can. Unfortunately, sand seems to be pretty smart too, and manages to twist its way around poles and buildings and whatever else you might try to use to shield yourself. By the time I got to my in-laws I felt as if I had lost a fight... I collapsed on the couch with a welcome cup of tea and vowed to wait until Yehi was done with work to go home (with a car!). Now that I am inside its nice listening to the wind and feeling like its actually "winter" (fall? what is this season really?). Heres hoping for lots more rain to help our water shortage.

No comments: