Saturday, February 27, 2010

the last week has been beyond crazy. I worked a couple days, we had a brit to attend, purim parties, baking for mishloach manot, PLUS the intensive ulpan. Not a moment to breathe.

I am back in ulpan aleph to take the final test. Its been an interesting transition from ulpan bet. I do not know my hebrew grammar as much as I would like, but I am amazed by how far I have come in the last 6 months. I know that last year I was in the same place as a lot of the ulpan aleph students... and now I feel so much more comfortable with hebrew... though I am no where near as fluent as i want to be. Its hard because I want to talk to my fellow classmates, but many of them are not able to have discussions in hebrew. I have been struggling to find people who understand what i am going through- the israelis mostly dont get why I struggle with aspects of israeli society, and the new immigrants who do understand dont speak hebrew or english well enough to really discuss it. Every so often their stories come out in class, and its comforting to know that there are other people dealing with the same issues i am.

maybe its because of the holiday, but this week has been difficult emotionally for me. I miss having people to really talk to. Most of Yehis friends/relatives are either older and married with multiple kids (and dont speak any english) or are my age and single (and speak english but dont really want to hang out with kids). Its a hard line to walk. In the states I would go to events at shul or work or a mothers group... here shul is not a place to meet people, I work too far away from where I live (and I am younger than most of my co-workers by about 20 years), and the only mothers group i have found is for babies under 6 months. Its been a struggle. This week I hope to find a moms group for our age bracket... if it exists here.

This is life in a foreign country... its ups, its downs... there is a crazy party going on outside because of Purim, and its nice to know that the country is celebrating with me. chag sameach!

1 comment:

be'ershevaboheme6 said...

Awww I feel your pain in many ways. I felt at home for the first time in a LONG TIME last week when i was hanging out with two Israelis who work security for El Al speaking hebrew and watching the Olympics. Unfortunately they live in nyc and I am in CT, where the only "Jewish Young Adults" Group is for 25-40 year olds!!!! Technically I'm still 5 months too young! And I work at a Shul...where there is not a Single young male...single. Wait...why am I still here?