Tuesday, December 22, 2009

fellow english speakers

In the last week I have run into a handful of English speakers here in KG, and it keeps surprising me that others like myself exist here. Most have been here for 15+ years, but apparently there are a few newer immigrants floating out there. So I did what anyone of my generation would do... I turned to facebook. I created a group for English speakers here in KG, and the word is starting to spread. We only have 6 members so far, but honestly thats more than I expected in the past couple hours.

One of the most well known english speakers here in KG manages the local bookstore... she seems to know all the english speakers because its the only place to get the Jerusalem Post or Haaretz. So she and I have decided to try to get an English speaking group back together. We will include the local moshavim and kibbutzim, mostly because without them we would have no one. We will try to put together potlucks and meetings and fun events. It feels great, because now I can be active and try to get it all together.

Besides that we have a trip stateside coming up very soon. Besides my normal fear of flying I am very exciting to be able to see my family. I am also excited to get out of the current 80 degree weather we've been having, and experience a semi real winter.

No comments: